[Spambayes] 1.0a4 hangs Outlook XP if Python 2.3 and McAfee?

Garth Kidd garth at deadlybloodyserious.com
Thu Aug 7 07:44:36 EDT 2003

I've been using the 1.0a4 source from CVS for quite some time with Python
2.2.3, Outlook XP SP1, XP SP1.

I switched to Python 2.3, which worked fine, and then I installed McAfee
VShield. Bad move -- Outlook would hang when downloading mail. Uninstalling
McAfee fixed the problem, but every time I rebooted McAfee would be back
(yaaaargh! -- it's like spyware).

I've reinstalled McAfee without the email part of the scanner, and
backgraded to 2.2.3 for SpamBayes, and after retraining (my database
vanished) everything's fine.

Regards,
Garth.