[Spambayes] Any prospect of spambayes working with qmail?

Thu Feb 13 15:14:28 EST 2003

2/13/2003 2:21:37 PM, Nick Holden <nick_holden at ntlworld.com> wrote:

>I'm intrigued by the spambayes project, and wondered whether you'd put
>any thought to apps to fit spambayes into the sendmail / qmail end of
>the mail process rather than as an end-user app?

The problem with a server side spam filter is that it is completely dependent
on finding a common definition of spam.  One man's spam is another man's
subscribed mail.  The spambayes team chose to deliver a client side tool so
that individuals could enforce their own spam definition, not have that
definition imposed upon them by the set of smtp servers (and server admins)
that a particular piece of mail happened to be routed through.  While
spambayes is no doubt integratable with server side processes, we've done
little work to make it so.   If you search back through the archives, you can
find some work done with mailman integration, and lots of discussion on your
particular topic, which will further explain what I've said here. - TimS