[Spambayes] interesting virus... social engineering

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Sep 29 23:43:41 CEST 2004

I was quickly scanning my virus mailbox just now (I have only the crudest
virus detection and sometimes sequester a legitimate email) and noticed a
message purporting to be from Greg Ward (gward at python.net).  It reads:

    Dear user skip at mojam.com,

    We have detected that your e-mail account was used to send a large
    amount of junk email messages during the last week.  We suspect that
    your computer had been infected and now runs a trojaned proxy server.

    Please follow the instruction in order to keep your computer safe.

    Best wishes,
    The mojam.com support team.

The interesting thing is *I'm* the "mojam.com support team". <wink> Of
course the message didn't actually come from Greg.  Sendmail correctly
deduced that it attempted to obscure its real origins.

Skip

"Let's be careful out there." - Phil Esterhouse on "Hill Street Blues"