[Tkinter-discuss] Windows beautification

Michael Lange klappnase at web.de
Thu Nov 23 17:43:57 CET 2006

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 08:22:25 -0800 (PST)
Sorin Schwimmer <sxn02 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Same happens to me. I started exploring the Label idea based on Fredrik's Lundh suggestion in
> http://www.pythonware.com/library/tkinter/introduction/x9905-icon-methods.htm
>
> It may be that I misunderstood his method.

Or maybe he should change "This method are ignored by some window managers (including Windows)."
into "most window managers".

> > iconbitmap is capable of readiong windows .ico files and it can simply set
> > the icon, so you dont have to go in to all the hacking of label image tk etc
> > etc.
>
> The above-mentioned piece of documentation states that iconbitmap works with
> monochrome icons; I'd like to go Kodak

If it is an option for you, you could try Tk-8.5, which includes a new iconphoto
command; it is not implemented in Tkinter yet, but using it should be as simple as (untested):

    root = Tk()
    img = PhotoImage(file='your-icon')
    root.tk.call('wm', 'iconphoto', root._w, img)

> For the 2nd point, I thought that things like colormapwindows may be useful. But I don't
> know what args to pass, and how to experiment with it, so it led me to the third point.
>
> I read the suggested material, but it's too brief for my level of knowledge. Is there something
> more detailed available, to explain what goes in colormapwindows, or in command?

You might want to have a look at the wm manpage where all these are explained in more detail
and you will find out quickly how to "translate" this into Tkinter.

i hope this helps

Michael