[Tkinter-discuss] How to catch when the root window closes?

Snakey darr_low at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 11 04:29:14 CEST 2008

would think that the root window is exited by using the "X" windows close
button?  If this is the case, you can bind the window manager event
WM_DELETE_WINDOW to a handler.  Try this:

root = Tk()
... some other codes

# to bind the window manager's CLOSE event to a fn
root.protocol( "WM_DELETE_WINDOW", my_function )

# so when the user press the "x" button, my_function is executed.  Write
watever code you need in my_function(), and at the end of
# the function, you can execute root.destroy to close the application.