[Tkinter-discuss] Entry Widget that can't enter into at first.

wet_colored)arch wet_colored_arch at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 17 03:52:19 CEST 2010

What basically happens is if I use the application all features work fine
except the entry widget I have created. I cannot add text or even get the
cursor to appear in the entry field.

 What is odd is I have a askyesno button for quiting. If I hit "no" and
return to the application, I can then enter text and move the cursor with
the tab to other features and buttons in my gui.

How do I get the entry box to work?

The problem might be tied to windows, frames and parents (which I still
don't fully understand even though I have built 5 gui's now).  The relevant
code is abridged as below:

if __name__ == '__main__':
    root = Tk()
    root.title('Artifact Pointer')# adapted from_PyView 1.0')
    Label(root, text="Point to Artifacts Observed").pack()
    SlideShow(root, picdir=picdir, artdir=artdir, bd=3, relief=SUNKEN)
    root.mainloop()

preceeded by:

class SlideShow(Frame):
    def __init__(self, parent=root, picdir='.', artdir='.', msecs=3000,
**args):#msecs is legacy
        Frame.__init__(self, parent, args)
        self.parent = root
        self.makeWidgets()

and under def makeWidgets I have:

self.vent=StringVar()
Entry(self,textvariable=self.vent).pack()

I have tried some variants and have read several forums and Lutz and still
am not getting this sorted out.  It is odd to me that it works, but only
AFTER, I hit no under askyesno button.