[Tkinter-discuss] Canvas.postscript() fails to render some fonts properly

Michael Lange klappnase at web.de
Tue Aug 24 11:05:31 CEST 2010

Thanks Firat for the reply,

Thus spoketh Firat Ozgul <ozgulfirat at gmail.com>
unto us on Tue, 24 Aug 2010 09:16:41 +0300:

> Hello,
>
> Unfortunately there are not enough documentation about Python-tk
> postscript manipulation. Information is scattered here and there.
>
> A sample code could be like this:
> [0] http://paste-it.net/public/l5a7036/

this example does basically the same as my tcl snippet; it works ok with
verdana, but for some reason fails on comic sans ms and some other fonts,
but I cannot see why some fonts work and some don't. For example, also
"bitstream vera sans mono" fails wheras "andale mono" works. Maybe I
should mention that all these fonts are displayed correctly in the
canvas. For the "working" fonts I do not even need to pass a fontmap to
postscript().

> Some useful discussions on the topic:
> [0]
> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t326920-tkinter-canvas-postscript-fontmap.html
> [1] http://wiki.tcl.tk/8483

I have already seen these, however they don't help me much, because of
the strange problems described above. So I am still not sure if it's
improper use of the fontmap or some other weird problem with either Tk or
maybe my system's postscript engine.

Regards

Michael

The heart is not a logical organ.
		-- Dr. Janet Wallace, "The Deadly Years", stardate 3479.4