[Tutor] writing a script file in Python - Help please

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Sun, 23 Dec 2001 13:05:51 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 23 Dec 2001, Taenchiki Said wrote:

> I'm very new in Python and programming in general. I just started a
> self-learning on how to program.

Welcome aboard!  Please feel free to ask questions here; we'll do what we
can to help.

> I was learning C++ for 3 months now but I decided to switch to Python
> because it appears much easier.
>
> Could you please tell me how to write a simple script, save it and run
> it in Python 2.2 in a windows or DOS environnement?

Sure!  You'll want to use a text editor to write your Python program.
Notepad is usable, but not recommended, since it isn't really tailored for
programming.  There is another text editor called IDLE that should be
installed when you installed Python 2.2, and it supports Python
programming very well.

I have a small introduction to IDLE here (I hope it isn't obsolete yet!):

    http://hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu/~dyoo/python/idle_intro

Good luck to you.