[Tutor] practical uses for python

alan.gauld@bt.com alan.gauld@bt.com
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 17:37:07 -0000

> Can someone tell me what some practical uses for
> python are?

Pretty much any kind of programming can be done
in Python. The exceptions are easier to list than
what you can do.

There is a lot of info on this on the Python web site:

http://www.python.org/doc/Intros.html

Look at the high level intros and comparisons.

> Mainly using python in the form of scripts
> similar to perl.

Thats probably the most common arena.

> Is there anything on the net that I
> look at to learn from?

There are lots of things. The Red Hat Linux admin
tools are written in Python. I believe Infoseek use it.
Digital Creations Zope site has some success stories of
web sites using Zope - which is written (partly) in
Python and uses Pythonm as its scripting language.

There is an open source drawing program written in Python.

And much more.
Try SourceForge and search for Python for current projects.

Alan G.