[Tutor] Python book suggestion please

Sheila King sheila@thinkspot.net
Fri, 04 May 2001 20:27:27 -0700

On Fri, 04 May 2001 06:28:06 -0000, "Learn Python" <learnpython@hotmail.com>
wrote about [Tutor] Python book suggestion please:

:I'm looking to buy a good / probably the best reference
:book available right now in the market. I checked out
:a few titles and arrived at the follwing titles:
:
:1. Programming Python 2nd edition (orielly)
:2. Python programmer's refernce (Insider Press)..by Beazely ( this is not
:uptodate i guess since it does'nt cover 2.0)

I have these three Python books:

Programming Python, 2nd ed. Mark Lutz. Assumes that you already know Python.
If you felt really comfortable after working through the Tutorial that comes
with the standard distribution, and were already up and writing scripts, this
might be a good book. Not concise. But, has an index. Lots of examples. Lots.
Huge book.

Core Python Programming. Wesley Chun. Assumes you already know some other high
level programming language. Starts with a nice overview chapter, and then has
a chapter on each topic which goes into more detail. My favorite of the three
I have. Not as big as Programming Python, 2nd ed, and the print is larger.
Lighter to read. Many examples.

Quick Python. Daryl Harms and Kenneth McDonald. An extremely concise overview
for someone who already knows how to program in another language. Small and
compact. I haven't looked at this one quite as much. A fair number of
examples. Most examples are snippets, rather than full programs.

--
Sheila King
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/