[Tutor] IP numbers

Javier JJ python.tutorial@jarava.org
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 05:40:43 +0100

This is precisely what I was going to say now :)

I have a DSL connection on a "relatively" unknown IP block (ie, my ISP has
been offering DSL connections on these addresses for a relatively short
time, os it's not a "known" target for hackers as, for example, @Home might
bel :-)). I have ZoneAlarm pro installed (get it, it's _great! :-), and I am
logging on the order of around 100 or so "alerts" in the firewall, dayly!!

But most of thems might be random pings, and random "background" noise from
the internet. I also participate in the DShield project (a project to pool
"distributed" firewall logs to analize them and find traffic / attack
patterns, check it out at www.dshield.org ), and the "logging" client
"cleans up" my logs.. and usually only reports a few alerts as noteworthy...

So, don't be _too_ paranoid. A little paranoid is OK, but try not to overdo
it!! (for instance, I once was getting frequent connection attempts at ports
135, 139 and 444 from a range of 5 differente IP addresses... on the order
of almost 30 attempts / hour for a couple of days... in the end, it was a
misconfigured app that someone had "hardwired" a series of IP to connect
to.. and one of them was mine!! :)

So, my advice is: make sure you have your system properly patched
(windowsUpdate.microsoft.com is your friend), turn off services you aren't
using, get a firewall (the free Zone Alarm should sufice for most people)...
and stop worrying too much about it. IT's _NOT_ "forget about it", just
don't worry too much about it!!

 Javier
----

PC! Politically Correct (or) Pure Crap!