[Tutor] Dots-And-Boxes

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry shalehperry@attbi.com
Sun, 02 Jun 2002 00:21:48 -0700 (PDT)

On 02-Jun-2002 Kirby Urner wrote:

>>\
>>"""Dots-and-Boxes is a familiar paper an pencil game for two players;
>

> Thanks for bringing this up Danny.  In earlier lives (as a
> younger guy), I played this game quite a bit on paper, with
> my sister Julie, peer group.  Taught it to a few people.
> Then I forgot about it completely -- until now.  I always
> called it "Square Off" and played it on graphing paper
> (grid paper).
>
> Yes, having a GUI version w/ Python guts would be mucho fun
> and a challenging project.  I salute you for initiating this
> bold proposal, backed with original code.

yeah, great one from childhood.

For the competition the design can be much simpler.

Have the player program read state from stdin and output moves to stdout.  A
mediator program can init to players and control the game.  Much like the
various net programming contests.

a sample session from the mediator's perspective would be:

(>> is output, <1 is player1 input, <2 is player2 input)
player 1 always goes first.

>1 init player1 as 1, grid 5x5
>2 init player2 as 2, grid 5x5
<1 move (0,0) (0,1)
>2 connect (0,), (0,1)
<2 move (5,0), (5,1)
1> connect (5,0), (5,1)
<1 move (3,2), (3,3) # this move makes a box and wins