[Tutor] function to ignore case

Reggie Dugard reggie@merfinllc.com
Wed Jul 30 13:21:54 2003

Matt,

You don't mention what version of python you're using, but assuming
you're using a release that's not too old, there are a couple of ways to
do what you want.

You can use regular expression searching (re module) and specify the
IGNORECASE flag:

>>> import re
>>> m = re.search('multi', 'A mUltiCased string', re.IGNORECASE)
>>> bool(m)
True

OR

You can convert both strings to a common case using the upper() or
lower() string methods, before you do the comparison:

>>> s = 'A mUltiCased string'.lower()
>>> s
'a multicased string'
>>> s.find('multi')