[Tutor] ANN: BayPIGies meeting for Thursday, November 13, 2003

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Sat Nov 1 21:14:15 EST 2003

Hi everyone,

Here's the monthly announcement for the upcoming BayPIGgies Bay Area
Python Users Group.  Our speaker for this month may be familiar to a few
of you.  *grin*

---

When: Thursday, November 13, 2003
Where: Carnegie Institute of Washington
       at Stanford University; Palo Alto
Agenda: What's new in Python? Not your usual list of new features
Speaker: Guido van Rossum

Python is an OO programming language that is usable for pedestrian tasks
typically called "scripting", as well as for the construction of highly
advanced class libraries. The latest versions, Python 2.2 and 2.3, have
added significant power to Python's competence in the latter area,
primarily through the introduction of two new concepts: iterators (a
generalization of for loops) and descriptors (a generalization of
customizable attributes).

In this talk I will present the principles and some examples of these
additions, and show how they are useful for lowly scripting tasks as well
as for advanced class library authors. I encourage audience participation
and will be available for questions afterwards.

For driving directions to Carnegie, as well as information about
BayPIGgies, please visit:

    http://www.baypiggies.net