[Tutor] Re: newbie

Andrei project5 at redrival.net
Thu Nov 6 10:26:45 EST 2003

RoT wrote on Thu, 06 Nov 2003 23:03:39 +0800:

Hi,

> Hi, I have been studying python for a month or so now and have written a few
> small apps the main being a  ~300 line application. I am finding as I work
> through things that I am coding in a procedural way, and then going back
> over the code and recoding parts into an OO model. Is this a normal
> progression, or should I be trying to force myself into an initial OO

My non-guru opinion is that some small things lend themselves better to
procedural solutions than OOP ones, even if it were just because it
requires less typing. Big programs however are better as OOP than
procedural. Exactly where the boundary is, depends on the application.

FWIW, when I first started Python I started a smallish program as
procedural and ended up OOP-ing it, so I think it's pretty normal :).

> model, my brain just doesn't seem to think like that, and I have work
> through a procedural method to actually solve the problem. Do experienced
> programmers find this sometimes also?

You'll get used to it and the translation will then no longer be necessary.
You might find it helps if you think about your program's desing on paper
first.

--
Yours,

Andrei

=====
Mail address in header catches spam. Real contact info (decode with rot13):
cebwrpg5 at bcrenznvy.pbz. Fcnz-serr! Cyrnfr qb abg hfr va choyvp cbfgf. V
ernq gur yvfg, fb gurer'f ab arrq gb PP.