[Tutor] newbie

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Nov 8 12:15:13 EST 2003

> librarians. A handful of them enter with programming skills. None of
> them leave. There is one introduction to programming class here
> (VB). It's usually offered once a year. Perhaps 10 people take it.
> Nobody leaves here capable of doing programming work as their main
> job. Anybody who does could code before they started.

Interesting. I'm currently working on a project where two of the
team (both women :-) studied as Librarians but became so interested
in the computing side that after finishing the course they signed
up for a 1 yeear Masters IT course and ae now full time
software engineers... Albeit both primarily focussed on
Business Analysis type roles, but both capable of whipping
up a database or programmng a web app with no problem.

The fact that the IT industry pays better helped too
of course! :-)

Still looking for the article BTW.

Alan G.