[Tutor] accessing the mixer

Michael Lange klappnase at freenet.de
Wed Nov 19 18:47:19 EST 2003

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 15:02:11 -0600
Larry <llwyble at cox.net> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am trying to access the mixer in order to build a simple volume control,
> for now.   (:
>
> Anyway I have found very little on google about doing anything at all
> with the mixer, though I have found ossaudiodev in the 'python library
> reference', so I'm trying to work from that.
>
> But now I find that my library reference in /usr/doc/python/html has no
> ossaudiodev listing in it.
>
> So where do I get this? is it a module that needs to be installed?
> Do I call it as a module as in;
>
> import ossaudiodev

Hi Larry,

I must admit that I don't know much about ossaudiodev, but as far as I know it comes with the standard
python installation since python-2.3, maybe it is just not documented in the library reference.

Another way to access the mixer is tkSnack:

www.speech.kth.se/snack

Snack works with both alsa and oss and the usage is quite staightforward, so you can write a complete
gui mixer app with a couple of lines.

Cheers

Michael