Re: [Tutor] Preserving timestamps when DLing with ftplib / gzip?

Magnus Lycka magnus at thinkware.se
Mon Nov 24 16:35:12 EST 2003

Terry Carroll wrote:
> Is there a way to do this?  I suppose I'd first have to somehow use ftplib
> to find out the timestamp on the remote file, and then use some sort of
> interface to set it on the files I create, right?

That sounds reasonable. (Maybe there is a shortcut I don't know.)

I don't know of a better way to get times than to do a directory
listing and parsing the output. Did I miss something?

To set times on the local side, use the os module:

>>> import os
>>> help(os.utime)
Help on built-in function utime:

utime(...)
    utime(path, (atime, utime))
    utime(path, None)

    Set the access and modified time of the file to the given values.  If the
    second form is used, set the access and modified times to the current time.

--
Magnus Lycka, Thinkware AB
Alvans vag 99, SE-907 50 UMEA, SWEDEN
http://www.thinkware.se/  mailto:magnus at thinkware.se