[Tutor] Re: IDE

Mike Hansen mhansen at cso.atmel.com
Wed Nov 26 11:45:15 EST 2003

I've been reading  The Pragmatic Programmer.(I think someone on this
list mentioned it, so I fired it up in O'Reilly's Safari.) It strongly
recommends finding a powerful editor to help make you more productive.
IMHO, VIM & EMACS are probably the top two. There's a holy war between
fans of each editor. I think they are both powerful tools. If you don't
like one, try the other. You'll probably need to invest a few days to
get used to the one you choose to learn, but it sounds like you can be
much more productive once you get over the learning curve. I tried emacs
3 times over the years, and it never clicked with me. YMMV. When I came
across the part about editors in The Pragmatic Programmer, I decided to
take a look at VIM. So far, it's making more sense to me than EMACS.
Both EMACS and VIM are very powerful. They try to keep your hands on the
keyboard instead of the mouse which should result in you being more
productive. There's lots of cool features in both editors that also help
in productivity. I recommend that you try EMACS or VIM. It'll help you
in Python and nearly any other programming language you decide to use.

BTW, I believe that development on XEMACS has stopped, and most of the
features that were in XEMACS are now in EMACS.

"A surprising number of people we've met use the Windows notepad utility
to edit their source code. This is like using a teaspoon as a shovel" -
The Pragmatic Programmer

Mike