[Tutor] Toolkit for Tkinter?

Michael Lange klappnase at freenet.de
Fri Nov 28 20:40:34 EST 2003

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 13:55:52 -0800 (PST)
Terry Carroll <carroll at tjc.com> wrote:

> I want to do more in the way of GUI programming, and Tkinter kind of
> frustrates me in the level of detail it requires.
>
> I've heard about Wax, both on this list and at its web site
> <http://zephyrfalcon.org/moin.cgi/Wax>, but that's an interface into
> wxPython.  I'd like to stay in Tkinter, rather than learning a whole new
> GUI toolkit like wxPython.
>
> I don't use Python professionally, this is just for my own use for my
> occasional programming at home, so I'm looking for a no-cost option, being
> a cheap bastard.
>
> So, does anyone know of anything comparable to Wax for Tkinter?
>
> (Happy Thanksgiving to the USAians on the list.)

I've seen that Pmw has been suggested. Another collection of Megawidgets is Tix < http://tix.sourceforge.net >.
If you want to use Tix, there's even a gui builder available at < http://page.sourceforge.net >; it's surely
a matter of personal flavor, but I prefer Tix to Pmw, however if you are using MSWindows i've heard that
some people had problems getting it installed (for me it worked without problems).

Cheers

Michael