[Tutor] Newbie: First program - looking for feedback :)

Christian Wyglendowski Christian.Wyglendowski at greenville.edu
Tue Jan 6 17:38:44 EST 2004

Cool.  Python is the first general purpose programming language that I
have learned as well.  I played with PHP on my web site and then moved
on to Python.  What a breath of fresh air that was!

> I find i am getting comfortable with GNU/Linux now, and it
> has recently encouraged
> me to try my hand at programming; for those times when you
> wished you had a
> little tool to do something :).
> The possibilty of helping the open source commnunity by
> contributing to software
> development etc is also a plus, although a distant dream at
> this point.
> ;)

Good goals.  I have had the most fun with some of the little "tools"
that I have written for mine and others' benefit.  I hope to contribute
to the open source world someday as well.

> My primary goal is to have some fun with this. I believe
> selecting Python as my first language was the right choice :)
>
> With this in mind, and with some embarrassment, i post my
> first *real* python program.

Well, I don't have any specific stuff to say about your code (Alan had
some good thoughts that I don't need to rehash).  I would, however,
suggest that you revamp the program as a command line utility.  You
could really trim down the size of your program and it would be more
flexible (you could pass onlyone.mp3 or *.mp3 in a directory).

There's my thoughts.

Christian
http://www.dowski.com