[Tutor] re.match enigma

Johannes Graumann graumann at caltech.edu
Wed Jan 7 22:46:13 EST 2004

Hello,

Wrote this snippet:

for counter in range(0,len(ms2_data[spectrum]['spectrum'])):
	try:
		re.match(r"^[\d\.]+",spectrum_data)
	except:
		spectrum_data = \LINEBREAK
string.join(ms2_data[spectrum]['spectrum'][counter],'|')			else:
		spectrum_data = \LINEBREAK
string.join([spectrum_data,string.join(ms2_data[spectrum]['spectrum'][c
ounter],'|')],'#')

Which is supposed to give me a data string, where members of a pair
(which originally come from a group) are separated by '|' and subsequent
pairs are delimited by '#'.

This does what I want UNLESS the 'spectrum_data' variable is emptied to
spectrum_data =''
somewhere further on in the 'for counter' loop. In this case no except
occurs, even though 'spectrum_data' does neither start with a digit (\d)
nor with a comma - it's empty!

What am I doing?

Confused, Joh