[Tutor] IDLE question

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jan 10 16:26:20 EST 2004

> Hi there to all. I;m new to programming and new to Python,
> a friend of mine recommended me to start to learn whit this.

He (or she) is quite right! :-)

> I want to know if when writting an instruction and get an
> error message the IDLE gets you to "another sentence" starting
> with the ">>>" you have to write everything all over again
> or if you can keep going whit the things you were doing?

It depends. In principle you will have all of the variables
you have created still in place. And you can just retype the
bit that failed, however in practice it can sometimes be hard
to know whats still around. You can find out by just printing
the values from the >>> prompt.

> I was copying the "Animals" script to start.

Sorry I don't know what you mean? Where is this animals
script?

>  P.S. any tips on self learning?

First go through Danny Yoo's IDLE tutorial - found from the
IDLE subsection of the Python website

Then go to the intro page for non programmers and pick one
of the tutorials there. If you want to learn about
programming per se then pick either How To Think Like a
Computer Scientist, or my tutor. If you just want a fast
track way to learn Python programming pick Josh Caglieri's(sp??)
tutor. (There are a few more now and I can't comment on the others.)

Now try to write a program of your own, maybe one of the
excercises on the Useless Python web site...

Once you have completed one of those move onto the official
tutor that comes with Python, it will fill in the gaps left
out by the beginers tutorials.

Now you should be ready to try something serious :-)

Alan G