[Tutor] Figuring out a protocol for fun and education

Terry Carroll carroll at tjc.com
Sat Jan 24 02:39:52 EST 2004

> On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Scot W. Stevenson wrote:
>
> > (Note this is Python 2.3). The first time I send something -- anything -- I
> > get "SuSE Meta pppd (smpppd), Version 1.00" as a response, which proves that
> > I'm reaching the right socket etc. However, anything after that is met with
> > silence until the time out is reached.

Hey, Scott, taking a look at
<http://www.suse.de/us/private/products/suse_linux/i386/packages_personal/smpppd.html>,
you should have a file on the system with smpppd installed:

  /usr/share/doc/packages/smpppd/protocol.html

It will probably help; although it says "This document is outdated. The
smpppd uses a modified protocol since version 1.00", it's probably a good
start.

Note also, at the end:

  Note: If something is unclear (I'm sure there is), you may look at the
  source code of smpppd, cinternet and kinternet or ask me (arvin at suse.de)
  directly.

--
Terry Carroll