[Tutor] file i.o

Don Arnold darnold02 at sprynet.com
Sun Jan 25 10:28:12 EST 2004

On Jan 25, 2004, at 2:51 AM, Kim Branson wrote:

>> Hi Kim,
>>
>> Don't do that.  *grin*
>>
> i see, that makes sense now.
> so one should always do a import string rather than from string import
> *
> is there a way of warning about clobbering the namespaces ? so if i
> write my own module i can drag it in without worrying about mixing and
> matching module functions. the module.function() syntax could get a
> bit tedious, or is that part of the python way?

Actually, it is. But if you want to save yourself some typing, you can
always do:

import MyReallyLongModuleName as my

That way, you can refer to my.function1(), my.function2(), etc.

<snip>

> i have a copy of the oreilly learning python, but i've been told the
> essential ref might be good also. any other books i should look for ?

I can't recommend Alex Martelli's "Python In A Nutshell" highly enough.
It's easily the best Python book I own.

<snip>

HTH,
Don