[Tutor] replaying

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Jul 19 07:32:35 CEST 2005

> * There is no reason for questioner not to like to see my replay in
> mailing list, I think. Why would he do it? Why should he want me just
> for him?

[meta: mailing list stuff.  Not really Python-related[]

Hi Geon,

Yes, there is a good reason.

Let us take a hypothetical situation.  Let's say that there are two
people, say person J and person D.  And say that D wrote a slightly
unfriendly reply on Tutor that didn't sit well, and person J rightfully
responded back and wondered why D was so curt.

It might be embarassing if the mailing list default was to have J's reply
go directly to the Tutor list rather than to just D.  Again, it might not,
but who knows?  If Reply-to munging was turned on by default, it would
make such a mistake very likely.

(And in the end, D might want to apologize to J; D was having a very busy
day today.  And it might be embarassing to have that automatically posted
on Tutor too.  Who knows?)

We want to allow people to have the opportunity to easily respond in
private, particularly for cases like this.

All of this is purely hypothetical, of course.