[Tutor] help

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Nov 28 06:14:47 CET 2005

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005, Kevin Gall wrote:

> how do i use python, do i download it? how do i use it . kevin.

Hi Kevin,

Out of curiosity, what do you know about Python or programming already?
We want to avoid rehashing things that you already know, so if you can
give any background on previous experience with computers and programming,
that'll help us target our explanations to suit you better.

There are resources on the web that should help you get started.  For
example:

    http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide

The page there explains how to get started: how to download Python, what
to expect, and how to find tutorials.

I really can't get a sense of what you know already, so I'm defaulting to
assuming that you're coming from a non-programmer background.  In that
case, I think you'll find the tutorials on:

    http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/NonProgrammers

approachable.  Pick a tutorial.  When you have questions on something that
doesn't make sense, send a question over to Tutor, and the tutors here
will try to make sense of it.  *grin*