[Tutor] failing to learn python

Carroll, Barry Barry.Carroll at psc.com
Fri Apr 14 00:43:44 CEST 2006

Alan:

As always, you make excellent points.  Actually, there isn't much on
which we disagree here, I think.  I did not mean that other engineering
disciplines necessarily employ less craftsmanship than does software.
On the contrary, excellent craftsmanship can be found in all branches of
engineering.

One example will suffice: automotive engineering.  Manufacturer _____
[insert your favorite here] produces vehicles which are among the most
finely crafted objects in the world.  On the other hand, ______ [again,
take your pick) makes cars that exhibit horrible craftsmanship.  Both
are the products of automotive engineering, but the differences in
reliability, safety, performance and economy, not to mention beauty,
individuality and 'fine-ness' (a great term, IMHO), are obvious.

I could cite examples from any other discipline, though I might have to
spend some time in research; I'm a programmer, not an engineering
historian.  =8^)

Anyway, my point was that no programming language is best in all cases
or for all people.  The preference of the engineer (craftsman, if you
will) matters.

Best Regards,

Barry
barry.carroll at psc.com
541-302-1107
We who cut mere stones must always be envisioning cathedrals.

-Quarry worker's creed