[Tutor] OOPs Concept

Matthew White mwhite3 at ttsd.k12.or.us
Wed Apr 19 17:32:54 CEST 2006

Even though I am still new to python, I've recently had an insight as
to what makes OOP different from procedural programming.

Let's take perl for example.  A variable in perl is like a bowl.  It's an
empty vessel you can put things in.  You can change the contents of
the bowl, you can empty the bowl but it doesn't really *do* anything.
It has no real attributes aside from the fact that it's a container.

So when I create a variable in perl it looks like this:

$x = 'hello'

If I want to make the first letter of the value of $x a capital letter,
I have to use a function to do it:

$y = ucfirst($x)

now $y contains the value 'Hello'

In python one doesn't really create variables, one creates objects.
Sring objects, list objects, etc.  And objects are cool because they can
do things.  They are more than just merely bowls, they are like swiss
army knives.  So in python, if I say:

x = 'hello'

Then I can do all sorts of things with x:

x.capitalize()  -> 'Hello'
x.swapcase() -> 'HELLO'
x.count('l') -> 2

This is just a very small example but I hope that my example can help
you understand what objects are what makes OOP different from procedural
programming.

-mtw