[Tutor] IDLE Crashing

Ismael Garrido ismaelgf at adinet.com.uy
Sat Aug 5 19:25:18 CEST 2006

Kent Johnson escribió:
> Adam Gomaa wrote:
>
>> I'm having trouble with this script. When I run it, it crashes IDLE...
>> which is no fun. :(
>>
>> I'm running Ubuntu 6.06 w/ python 2.4
>>
>> When I say crash, I mean really _crash_. IDLE stop responding, and I
>> have to killall idle && killall python2.4 before I can restart it (cause
>> python2.4 keeps the TCP port open, I'm assuming)
>>
>> A few notes:
>> list.txt is a text file with 99 lines, each with three letters on it.
>> In ./retrieves, I have 99 files of style [xyz].1.txt. (in addition to
>> list.txt) These are retrieved HTML pages that have the HTML stripped
>> (the actual script is part of a series of scripts to download and format
>> my school's course catalog)
>> It seems to crash on the final iteration of the second for loop, no
>> matter what file it's on at that point (which I've changed by changing
>> x&y in 'for each in filelist[x:y]:' to diffrent values), so I don't
>> think it has anything to do with the actual files it's accessing.
>>

> It looks like for some reason there is a problem with printing
> goodlist1. I can't think of why that would happen. (At first I thought,
> maybe there are special chars in the data, but printing a list prints
> the repr() of the list elements, so any special chars should be escaped.
> I also suspected the length of goodlist1 but it sounds like you have
> tried with a smaller subset of the data.)

IDLE becomes **very** unresponsive when printing long lists/strings.
Great doses of patience and a good processor usually let you live
through (Idle uses 100%, you have to take out of view the long text to
make it become responsive again). At least, this happens on Windows
(maybe other platforms don't have this problem?). I get this a lot when
working with long HTML.
There must be something wrong in the way IDLE prints long strings...

Ismael