[Tutor] can you explain string replacement syntax and commaseparated statements

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Sun Aug 6 17:42:19 CEST 2006

> can you explain string replacement syntax and commaseparated
> statements

string substitution replaces the 5 %s comvbinations with the 5
values after the % sign

A simplied example is:

s = "hello %s, welcome to %s" % ('world','python')

Your example just uses triple quotes to allow the string
to wrap and has more substitutions. The 5 values are also
less direct but all yield strings eventually!

The comma separated assignment looks like a mistake to me!
A simplified form looks like:

s = "Hello", s += "world"

Which yields a syntax error.
Are you sure its not a semi-colon, in which case it just combines
the two instructions on a single line.

If so its very bad coding style IMHO but is legal.

HTH,

Alan G.