[Tutor] searching for a string in a dictionary

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Wed Aug 9 10:03:58 CEST 2006

> On 09/08/06, Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk> wrote:
>> > all_types:
>> > <Storage {'type': 'childcare', 'id': 1, 'created':
>> > datetime.datetime(2006, 7, 26, 15, 18, 34, 887436)}>
>> >
>> > how do i search for a particular string say teststring in this
>> > list
>>

> I think what he wants is:
>
>    if 'teststring' in [s.type for s in all_types]

But type is still not accessible as an attribute.
It looked to me like he wanted a list of dictionaries
in which case it wouyld be:

if teststring in [s['type'] for s in all_types]

But the submitted data is not in any usable format so far
as Python is concxerned and the data structure will be
critical to how the code works.

Anil, we need to get more specific information from you
about your code and error messages, we can't guess
what you have done.

Alan G