[Tutor] Python on network problems

Luke Paireepinart rabidpoobear at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 04:37:22 CEST 2006

Diana Hawksworth wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I have Python installed on 1 of 4 labs at my High School. The lab is connected to a whole school network.  Students login through the network - but Python is active in this lab only.

You have 4 labs.
Python is installed on all the computers in a single lab.
All of the labs are networked together.
Students log into an authentication server and not to the individual
computer.

Are they given 'virtual' drives?  some type of network-based storage?
Are they using Windows? What version?
What do you mean 'Python is _active_'?
> Sometimes I have a student who simply cannot access Python, even though he has been working on it for a number of months now.  Usually a change in username will solve the problem - but I would like to know what is causing this to happen.

They can't access the python install on the individual computer on which
they're logged, or they can't access a python install that's on a
different computer on the network?  A change in their network login
fixes the problem?
> The second problem is much more severe. Seems for the past three weeks now, the entire system will crash.  It happens when we are working on Python - so the assumption is that the program is to blame. I cannot see that it is - but it certainly is upsetting when it happens. Has anyone had a similar accurrence with Python and networks? If so - what have you done about it.  If not - then any clues about what could be happening so that I can get the system administrator off my back - and get the system working again!!
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.

Is it like this:

Lab1:
    Computer1 - has python
    Computer2 - has python
Lab2:
    Computer3 - no python
Lab3:
    Computer4 - no python
Lab4:
    Computer5 - no python

A user logs onto the network from Computer5 in Lab4.
Do you expect him to be able to run a python script?
What interpreter do you expect him to use?  One that's installed on a
computer in Lab1?

Say a user logs onto Computer1.
they can run python programs on their computer.
Do you expect them to be able to run python programs that are stored on
Computer2, using the
interpreter that's installed on Computer1?

I'm not too clear on how you have this set up, what it's supposed to do,
and why the network is involved at all.
It seems like the kids should be able to run python scripts on any
computer in Lab1
without fiddling with the network whatsoever, so I suspect that there's some
additional information that I'm not getting.
Can you clarify?

Thanks,
-Luke