[Tutor] Python on network problems

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Tue Aug 15 22:03:23 CEST 2006

> If possible, I would recommend using a Unix clone as your
> server's OS instead of Windows.  Even Linux,

Speaking personally I can't complain about Windows
as a server since windows 2000. NT was horrible but
Win2K seems to do a fair job.

BUT it does need to be set up correctly and running
XP Home doesn't count! It is terrible as a server.
However given the number of machines in your network
I'd expect the basics to bbe catered for. The borttleneck
issue that Barry alludes to is one I hadn't even considered
but its valid. If the students are all writing code for a similar
example and that cpde imports lots of modules which are
stored on shared disk on a single server then it could
throttle the network. Similarly if they are all accessing
a single database or web server stored on the main
server - that'd be a pretty bad network setup however!

> the learning curve required of the network administrator.

And thats pretty massive. Many Windows admins can't
work without the GUI tools and Linux really needs
command line skills to get the best out of it. Even editing
a text file is intimidating for some of these guys!

Alan G.