[Tutor] man pages parser

Tiago Saboga tiagosaboga at terra.com.br
Fri Aug 18 14:47:53 CEST 2006

Hi!

I'm working on a front-end to various unix command-line utilities, and I want
to be able to retrieve informations from man pages, specially existing
options and their help strings. Do you know a good way to handle this? I
could parse directly the troff sources (is there already a parser for that?),
the resulting man pages, or I could first translate it to docbook (with
doclifter) or html (mantohtml) and than use a xml or html parser.

All these options require a good amount of time for me, as I don't know any of
the parsers, and I don't know the languages, except for html. It's why I'm
asking here first if there is a better solution or other advices...

Thanks.

Tiago Saboga.