[Tutor] Mysql BLOB strangeness?

Adam Cripps kabads at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 11:42:09 CET 2006

On 3/17/06, Brian Gustin <brian at daviesinc.com> wrote:
> if the data is not binary, you can use TEXT type - accepts all readable
> characters and data, BLOB type is more for binary data storage, and
> MYSQL's Varchar type only stores up to 255 characters. (65,536 bits, or
> 64Kbits)
>
> If you are storing Binary data (DES-3 encrypted data, or image data, for
> example (a silly idea, IMHO, but some people store image data in
> databases), then you would use BLOB, but I prefer to use TEXT type for
> plain ol' storage of text or characters (say an html page or template,
> etc) rather than the binary BLOB type, although BLOB would be a space
> savings if the data will be quite large, and you will have many rows)
>
> HTH
> Bri!

Thanks - this makes sense. I will convert the table to text and see
how I get on.

However, there is still a learning point that might be missed here -
how does Python grab BLOB data-types, and how do you manipulate them?
If it were a file, would you just be able to grab the file without the
array?

--
http://www.monkeez.org
PGP key: 0x7111B833