[Tutor] Simple way for i18n ?

francois schnell francois.schnell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 17:41:14 CET 2006

Hello all,

I wish to translate a Python script from English to French. I've read the
offical documentation (python.org doc) but I must admit that I'm lost now
I've found some simple explanations here but I can't make it work:
http://karrigell.sourceforge.net/en/internationalization.htm

Here's where I'm stuck:

Let's imagine my app is: myapp.py
--
import gettext
_ = gettext.gettext

print _("hello friends")
print _("Bye Bye")
---

Here are my folders on a windows box:

C:\myappfolder\
-----------------------\Translations\francais\LC_MESSAGES

My myapp.py is in myappfolder

In this folder I've used pygettext.py to produce a messages.pot file => I
add the translation in it => I have a messages.po file.
I then used msgfmt.py to produce messages.mo file.

I then copied messages.po and messages.mo in LC_MESSAGES folder
C:\myappfolder\
-----------------------\Translations\francais\LC_MESSAGES

I now come back to myapp.py and add two lines:

---
import gettext
_ = gettext.gettext

t=gettext.translation("messages","c:\myappfolder\Translations","francais")
t.install()

print _("hello friends")
print _("Bye Bye")
---

When I do that Python anwers:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\myappfolder\myapp.py", line 4, in ?
    t=gettext.translation
("messages","c:\myappfolder\Translations","francais")
  File "C:\Python24\lib\gettext.py", line 456, in translation
    raise IOError(ENOENT, 'No translation file found for domain', domain)
IOError: [Errno 2] No translation file found for domain: 'messages'

I'm stuck here.
I understand it doesn't find the translation file but I can't figure out
why.

Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong or direct me to an URL (or a Python
book) where simple internationalisation for Python is gently explained

Thanks
francois (...from France)