[Tutor] How to generate permutations of a given string

Carroll, Barry Barry.Carroll at psc.com
Mon Nov 27 21:39:25 CET 2006

Hello, Asrarahmed

I'm not sure these qualify as "simple", but they work.  This was one of
my very first projects in Python, so it may be more complicated than
necessary.

##########
def permute (word):
"""
    Accepts a string.
    Returns a list of all permutations of the string using all
characters.
"""
    retList=[]
    if len(word) == 1:
        # There is only one possible permutation
        retList.append(word)
    else:
        # Return a list of all permutations using all characters
        for pos in range(len(word)):
            # Get the permutations of the rest of the word
            permuteList=permute2(word[0:pos]+word[pos+1:len(word)])
            # Now, tack the first char onto each word in the list
            # and add it to the output
            for item in permuteList:
                retList.append(word[pos]+item)
    return retList