[Tutor] Question about exception

Bill Campbell bill at celestial.net
Thu Apr 5 21:57:32 CEST 2007

On Thu, Apr 05, 2007, Mike Hansen wrote:
>When doing a try/except block, is it possible to return a list as part
>of the exception?
>
>try:
>    check_someting()
>except CheckSomethingError, e:
>    for each_error in e:
>       # do something
>
>Can 'e' be a list of errors? If so, how do you construct your exception
>class?

If the Exception is defined as a class, e will be an instance of
that class so you can have pretty much anything available:

class MyException(Exception):
    def __init__(self, msg, mylist)
        self.msg = msg
        self.mylist = mylist
        Exception.__init__(self, msg)

try:
    check_something()
except MyException, e:
    for entry in e.mylist: ...

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill at Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

``I don't make jokes, I just watch the Government and report the facts...''
    Will Rogers