[Tutor] UnicodeDecodeError in kinterbasdb

Andy Koch andy.koch at pc-doctor.com
Thu Apr 5 23:39:48 CEST 2007

Hello,

I've installed Python 25 on an XP machine, installed kinterbasdb (and
eginix-mx-base).  Python works fine.

However, when I try to load the firebird module in IDLE I get ...

Python 2.5 (r25:51908, Sep 19 2006, 09:52:17) [MSC v.1310 32 bit
(Intel)] on win32

 >>> import kinterbasdb
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
   File "C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\kinterbasdb\__init__.py", line
98, in <module>
     _instPath, 'bin'
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xff in position
237: ordinal not in range(128)

 From searching the web I'm led to think this is related to the default
encodings on the machine.  But I'm not sure what to do about this.

For what it's worth, I have another machine and this same library works
just fine.

Thank You,

Andy Koch