[Tutor] Mixing generator expressions with list definitions

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Wed Apr 18 14:17:34 CEST 2007

Ed Singleton wrote:
> I would like to be able to do something along the lines of:

> However this doesn't work.  Is there any way of achieving this kind of thing?

my_list = [1, 2] + range(3,6) + [6]

or, to build it in steps,
my_list = [1, 2]
my_list.extent(range(3, 6))
my_list.append(6)

By the way I can't think of any reason to write "x for x in range(3, 6)"
instead of just "range(3, 6)". range() returns a list which can be used
almost anywhere the generator expression can be. If you need an explicit
iterator use iter(range(3, 6)).

> I wrote a quick function that allows me to use the generator
> expression as long as it is the last argument:

> ...     return [arg for arg in args]

or
   return list(args)

Kent