[Tutor] sys.path, managing modules and packages

Switanek, Nick nswitanek at stanford.edu
Thu Apr 26 04:06:55 CEST 2007

Can someone help me better understand how I ought to manage the modules
and packages that I download? I often find that I can't use the code
I've just downloaded, despite putting it into Lib/site-packages. Often
I've added the subdirectory path via sys.path.append, but this seems to
go only one level down, whereas I thought that when trying to import
something python would search all subdirectories of the directories in
the sys.path. I'd be glad for some basic instruction on the steps I need
to take between downloading code from sourceforge and importing the
functions in my scripts or at the command line.

Thanks,

Nick