[Tutor] urllib2 and content-type header

Mozaic Web Development webdev at mozaicsands.com
Sun Apr 29 02:51:51 CEST 2007

Hello -

I'm trying to work with the Basecamp API with Python, and am running
into a bit of an issue. I'm using a Basecamp class that wraps the API
that was written by Jochen Kupperschmidt (if you are reading this,
thanks!) With some help from the basecamp forums, I think I've
identified the issue, in that the urllib2 request that is being
generated is being sent out with a 'Content-type: application/x-www-
form-urlencoded', whereas Basecamp is expecting a header with
this is the default. But from what I can tell, the class compensates
for this and should be overriding the default - but catching the
request in a proxy, it isn't! So any tips would be greatly appreciated..

here are the relevant parts of the class:

import base64, urllib2
import elementtree.ElementTree as ET #(I'm running python 2.4)

class Basecamp(object):

     def __init__(self, baseURL, username, password):
         self.baseURL = baseURL
         if self.baseURL[-1] == '/':
             self.baseURL = self.baseURL[:-1]
         self.opener = urllib2.build_opener()
         self.opener.addheaders = [
             ('Content-Type', 'application/xml'),
             ('Accept', 'application/xml'),
             ('Authorization', 'Basic %s' \
                 % base64.encodestring('%s:%s' % (username, password)))]

     def _request(self, path, data=None):
         if isinstance(data, ET._ElementInterface):
             data = ET.tostring(data)
         req = urllib2.Request(url=self.baseURL + path, data=data)
         return self.opener.open(req).read()

So I don't know why the Content-Type that is being set in
self.opener.addheaders isn't sticking.. Thank you, I apologize if
this email is a bit long..
Thanks!
-Eric