[Tutor] Suppressing output in interactive mode

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 11 21:11:31 CET 2008

"Olivier Lefevre" <lefevrol at yahoo.com> wrote

>> But if you refer to a loop when would you ever be evaluating
>> expressions inside a loop without assigning them?
>
> Some method calls return a value that you may not be interested
> in but which will still be printed, e.g., Set.add in Java (if
> you are using jython, this is relevant).

OK, I see. Interestingly default retuirn values are not printed:

>>> def f(n): return
>>> for n in range(5):

But if they return printable values then yes you would see them.
In that case I'd just assign to a dummy variable.

But usually in the >>>> prompt I don't care, if there were so
many lines inside a loop I'd probably create a test file for the
code because its easier to edit changes.

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site