[Tutor] MySQLdb for Python 2.5? (Debian related) (was: csv.reader: bad argument type)

Michael Langford mlangford.cs03 at gtalumni.org
Wed Jan 23 19:36:47 CET 2008

It's a distribution issue. As far as what I've found as having cutting
edge (or even reasonably fresh) python packages in your package
manager is dictated by the distro, who vary wildly in this.

Debian SID at times> All the Ubuntus > Debian SID at times> Fedora
Core > Debian testing > Debian stable

This is the #1 reason I use ubuntu on servers right now. And if the
above is wrong now, these are generally feelings about a small sample
set over a period of time. I really have just gone all Kubuntu/Xubuntu
where I can these days.

I will suggest you look into learning eggs, cheese shop and
easy_install as an alternative to OS based package management for
python. I was an awesome presentation by Brandon Rhodes Mill about
Buildout  at PyAtl a couple weeks ago. It automagically downloads all
the eggs you need. You just create a setup.py and a quick config file,
and check those in with your source. When you run a command when you
start developing on a checkout, it pulls down all the eggs you need to
work with that checkout from the cheeshop, putting them in a project
local directory, which is then prepended to the python search path for
that project.

This means site-packages and you don't have fights when you install on
multiple system who may need other past versions of modules. Buildout
also gets the right version of python on the machine ( in a local
directory again ) and is compatible with system where you don't have
root access.

Buildout was originally written by the Zope people I believe, but has
been made independent of zope so all of us non-zope people can use it.

         --Michael

Cheese Shop: www.python.org/pypi
Monty Python Cheese Shop Skit: www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3KBuQHHKx0
Buildout: www.python.org/pypi/zc.buildout
More about Eggs: http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/PythonEggs
PyAtl (where presumably his talk will be posted): http://pyatl.org/

On Jan 23, 2008 11:01 AM,  <tetsuo2k6 at web.de> wrote:
> I decided to install Python2.5 on the server machine to save me the time
> for low-level debugging >;) but it doesn't find the MySQLdb module...
>
> I searched through aptitude - the only thing I find is MySQLdb for Py2.4
> ... What's happening here?
>
> I have to say that the client PC (on which my script runs fine with 2.5)
> has Ubuntu installed - can it be that the MySQLdb module is behind in
> Debian?
>
> Sorry for going off topic - if you guys don't want that here can move
> the problem to the Debian list - but maybe someone here knows about the
> status of the packages...?
>
> - Paul

Michael Langford
Phone: 404-386-0495