[Tutor] results not quite 100 percent yet

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Wed Jan 30 14:24:52 CET 2008

bhaaluu wrote:
> Now that you mention it, I do seem to remember that the order of
> a list is indeterminate.

No; the order of a dict is indeterminate, and consequently the order of
lists derived from dicts with keys(), values(), etc. is indeterminate.

The order of a list is determined by how you create it.

> What kind of Python array structure would you use if you need to
> access each element in the exact order it appears in the table?

A list of lists may be the correct structure for your program. You could
define tablE as

tablE= [[ 0, 2, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0],    # 1
         [ 1, 3, 3, 0, 0, 0, 0],    # 2
         [ 2, 0, 5, 2, 0, 0, 0],    # 3