[Tutor] Gtk time control and Glade

Chris Fuller cfuller084 at thinkingplanet.net
Tue Mar 17 15:58:39 CET 2009

Make your own.  You can have empty containers in glade that you fill in at
runtime, or you could create the interface in glade, perhaps a couple of
ComboBoxes.  I would leave an empty container and create a reusable widget
descended from gtk.HBox that implements validation or anything else that it
would need to do.  Maybe it could default to the current time, for instance.

I know its possible to configure glade to use custom widgets, but I've never
bothered to learn about since it's so easy (and free of caveats that I might
become subject to) to leave empty space for runtime use.

Here's a quick and dirty (and untested!) example:

class TimeEntry(gtk.HBox):
    def __init__(self):
        gtk.HBox.__init__(self)

        self.hr = \
        w = gtk.ComboBox()

        for i in range(24):
            w.append_text('%02d'%(i,))

        self.pack_start(w, False, False, 0)
        w.show()

        w = gtk.Label(':')
        self.pack_start(w, False, False, 0)
        w.show()

        self.min = \
        w = gtk.ComboBox()

        for i in range(60):
            w.append_text('%02d'%(i,))

        self.pack_start(w, False, False, 0)
        w.show()

    def get(self):
        return '%02d:%02d' % (self.hr.get_active(),self.min.get_active())

Cheers