[Tutor] Creating A Simple Blog System Using Python Programming

Vern Ceder vceder at canterburyschool.org
Sat Jun 26 19:13:46 CEST 2010

F C wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> - I have recently decided to learn Python.
> - It is my first programming language.
> - I am new to programming.
> - I know XHTML and CSS, and a few lines of PHP.
> - I only started learning a couple of days ago.
>
> What I want to do is create a simple blog system.
> Where I can
> - create posts, edit them and post them online
>
> Thus far, people have pointed me to frameworks.
>  From what I see, the framework does the work for you...
> I want to code the blog from scratch...after all - I want to learn the
> language - I don't want something to do the work for me.

Managing the details of a framework could distract you from the basics
of  learning Python, IMHO, but they do make a lot things much easier.

As it happens, I use a similar example (a message wall) in my book, The
Quick Python Book, 2nd ed. (see link in my sig).

While I can't reproduce that chapter here, I can tell you that you want
to use the wsgiref server included in the Python standard library, and
you should read through the online docs and examples for the wsgiref
module on the python.org site. Then for storage of your posts, you might
just want to use text files at first, and then consider picking up
sqlite3 or another database later on.

Cheers,
Vern

> I truly do not know where to start, because most of the tutorials are
> segmented, and I don't know how to structure the
> program, let alone what commands to include.
>
> I would appreciate it if someone could give me some structure advice on
> how to tackle this.
>
> Many thanks to the person(s) who can help.
> Australia's #1 job site If It Exists, You'll Find it on SEEK
> <http://clk.atdmt.com/NMN/go/157639755/direct/01/>

This time for sure!
    -Bullwinkle J. Moose