[Tutor] OT: need computer advice from wise Tutors

David Hutto smokefloat at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 03:53:24 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at btinternet.com> wrote:
> "David Hutto" <smokefloat at gmail.com> wrote
>
>> > Or if the network is shared with other users or other applications
>>
>> So, the bandwidth supplied(better question for my own ISP) is like a
>> drop cord, even with alleged T1 connections plugged in, it drop in
>> accordance with usage that exceeds the max capacity even though they
>> sell it as it's max capacity?.
>
> It depends on the access mechanism. If its a T1 link then it is a
> dedicated line for your own use and not shared by anyone - although
> the server/router its connected to at the ISP may well be!
>
> If its a typical ADSL line it will be conneced to a DSLAM at the
> centeral office(by the telco) and  that will be shareed. So a typical
> consumer line has a ratio of 50:1 users. A business line might be
> only 10:1 or 20:1. This works on the assumption that most users
> spend more time reading than downooading the content. As we
> move to streaming data sources that assumption becomes invalid
> and the DSLAM bandwidth is effectively shared.
>
> ADSL also loses bandwidth the further you are from the office so what
> is sold as an 8Mb line will rarely give more than 5-6Mb and may be
> as low as 1 or 2. But that is mostly a physical limitation on the
> copper cables used. And finally, the 'A' in ADSL stands for asymmetric
> so the upload speed it usually only a fraction of the download speed,
> often only a few hundred kilobits/sec. Even with ADSL+ (20M+) the
> upload speed is usually less than 1Mb. That means that a 1MB(yte)
> document may only take 1-2 sec to download but take 10s+ to
> upload (why sending mail is usually much slower than receiving)
>
> Alan G.

But the process has to be diversified for each customer, because it
all travels at the speed of light. I recall from way back in the day,
that cable boxes sometimes had a weak signal depending on the distance
from the consumer. This signal could be modified from the cable
company, so the box amplified the 'weak', but not further away,
signal.

So this would also be a matter of what was being sent/received being
modified, depending on the priority(given by the ISP provider) of the
current DSL(or whatever connection) consumer? So I'm guessing this
would be determined on the basis of recent usage, as to the priority
of the sending or downloading, correct?