[Web-SIG] WSGI adoption

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Nov 26 02:34:40 CET 2004

At 07:09 PM 11/25/04 -0600, Ian Bicking wrote:

>Twisted is a big install, but it's not actually very heavy.  I think it's
>quite reasonable that we'd use Twisted as a base instead of
>SimpleHTTPServer, at least in the long run.  I'd like to see other access
>methods so it doesn't require a ProxyPass setup to work with Apache
>(somehow ProxyPass makes me uncomfortable).  And a multi-process option,
>which could run underneath.  The installation size is also a problem, but
>the Twisted people have been talking about breaking the package up into
>smaller bits.

Jim Fulton (aka the Zope Pope) is most interested in WSGI for the ability
to run Zope under Twisted and mod_python.  In the long run, they'd like to
also replace their Medusa-based email/FTP/etc. servers with Twisted ones.

>Zope 3 could be a WSGI application;

There's a prototype application wrapper in the 'zope.app.wsgi' package on
the Zope X3 subversion trunk.  It's not ready for prime time just yet,
though.  The thing that made me realize how badly we need a deployment
configuration format pretty badly, was when I was trying to help the
volunteer who wrote 'zope.app.wsgi', and it became obvious that people were
going to have to write Python scripts to glue the thing into a web
server.  Ultimately, that Just Won't Do, certainly not for Zope's audience.